Welcome to Korea Future Initiative’s FORB database.
This database gives you access to selected and anonymised information on religious freedom violations in North Korea. The information in the database is taken from larger data sets documented and held by Korea Future Initiative.
Information contained in this database is based exclusively on documented violations that were recorded during investigations conducted by Korea Future Initiative. Victims of religious freedom violations who were not interviewed for this project may have undergone fundamentally different experiences. Consequently, it should not be inferred that the data contained in this database is representative of the experiences of every North Korean religious adherent.
The FORB database provides information about documented religious adherents in North Korea. What this database does not provide is an estimate of the number of religious adherents in North Korea or an estimate on the number of victims of religious freedom violations in North Korea. Users of this database should take care not to overcount victims or violations. Multiple respondents experienced multiple violations within a single or different event.
How to use the database
- Use the navigation bar at the top of the page to search for information relating to victims, perpetrators, locations, and organisations.
- You may also contact us via the Contact page in the navigation bar
How to use cards
- Each victim, perpetrator, location, and organisation has its own card. You can access these individual cards from the list view, table view, or map view.
- When you select a card, you will be given the option to View the available data in a dedicated page.
- On the top-right of a View page, you may also be presented the ability to view connections for the particular victim, perpetrator, organisation, or location.
How to use filters
- Use the filters in the right-hand menu to narrow down information based on multiple variables.
- Filters use a combination of check boxes, drop-down menus, and search boxes.
- Use the ‘And–Or’ toggle in selected filters to further narrow your search.
How to search for key words or phrases
- Use the search box at the top of the page to search for particular words or phrases
- To search for an exact term, you should enclose your search with quotes. For example, “Chongjin”.